The Fantastic 4 of Sales

“Always Be Closing”…That’s what the character “Blake” says in the movie “Glengarry Glen Ross”. And yes, he means closing deals. Now the question is how? Closing sales deals is an art, and it does not come naturally to everyone. Some are born with the gift of the gab, while some really have to work to acquire the required skill sets to be a champion deal closer!

Though we may have already heard about some best practices in this industry, let’s go through a few tips and techniques which will only make you a better sales person in 2013. We call them the “Fantastic 4”!

Be a good listener:

They say that a problem well stated is a problem half solved! Being a good listener to a customer’s problems is actually a problem half solved. Understanding the pain points , acknowledging them, and coming back with a customized approach of tackling the issues is only going to raise your standards as a committed solution provider.

Follow up…Follow up…Follow up:

This is the mantra of closing the sales cycle in the most minimum time. Send your prospects New Year greetings, wish them on Christmas or just drop in a line to say “Hello”! It’s a good thing to keep your prospects constantly reminded of your presence.

The 80-20 Principle:

Also known as the Pareto’s Principle, the 80-20 rule was suggested by business-management consultant Joseph M. Juran in late 1940s. According to the principle, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. In the field of sales, that means you will generate 80% of your results from 20% of your leads. Thus it is imperative, to recognize those 20% from your list of prospects, and to put more effort on closing them. The rest 80% of your prospects deserve your attention too, but this 20% need more dedication. And the return on your investment of time and effort will be higher as well.

Know your stuff:

This is perhaps the first thing we are taught in our initial weeks of joining an organisation. “Know your product”. With great knowledge, comes supreme confidence. And with confidence, comes the comfort of talking to a complete stranger with whom you have never talked before. Remember, you know your industry more than anyone else, and even if you don’t, there are plenty of resources to find out!

So bring it on 2013, and let’s put those numbers on the board!

 

 

Speak Your Mind

*

captcha

Please enter the CAPTCHA text